Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Good Life


Do you remember that 70's British show about a couple who decided to escape the "rat-race" and live sustainable?

We had Earth Hour last night. I sat in my sister's backyard with candles (which probably weren't made in any environmentally friendly fashion) and ate our BBQ'd food. It was lovely.

However my sweaty contribution to sustainable living started earlier in the day when I decided started in on one stretch of backyard lawn that Mum & I had decided should be converted to a 24/7 organic, help yourself, food place.



Our plan is to dig up the existing lawn of weeds (as featured above) and plant a 'green manure' crop of bio-mustard, clover & lucerne. This will help enrich the soil for the vegetables we want to plant in spring.

Digging a little below the 'lawn' I discovered a whole lot of sandstone bits (possibly landfill?) and the soil is a hodgepodge mix of sand and clay and fairly bland topsoil. So I'm thinking we might want to remove some of that and cart in some richer stuff to turn through the existing mix.

Because I'm being pedantic about loving the earth, we're avoiding chemical solutions to removing the 'lawn'. I'm currently shovelling it up, shaking the soil out and tossing it into the green-waste bin. Tedious, and my legs are letting me know that they are noticing the squat-shovel-lift routine. But, well worth it!


This is my other contribution to global waste reduction. No more Mountain Spring Water plastic bottles for me!

No comments: