Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Good Life, pt 2



Just before it got into Mozzie Hour, I snapped this shot of how far we got. Turning over the soil is going to be a mammoth task (I've done some in the section closest to the camera - where the ground looks a little ochre coloured). There are heaps of clay+rock patches that make it impossible to get the shovel into the soil more than a centimetre or two. You can see that in my next pic....
Despite that looking like it's just resting lighting in the top soil, I stood on that shovel with my full (substantial 'big-boned') weight and all I did was nearly fall headfirst into the dirt. About a cm of dirt and then its the stuborn blend of clumpy clay packed with pebbles & rocks. I've found a way to negotiate it with the fork, but it involves sweat-intensive labour, and sneaking underneath the clumpiest parts, levering them up and then crumbling the clumps by fork & hand tossing the larger rocks to one side (which you can see in the top photo, along the bench is a growing collection of garden variety rocks.

1 comment:

Cara said...

I am very proud of you - it's starting to take shape! Yay! Looks like jolly hard work though. Looking forward to hearing about the progress ( and seeing it when I am there).