Tuesday, July 8, 2008

an auspicious something

In a world of mass produced consumerist greed, I attempt to convince random strangers that my handmade jewellery is not only elegant and aesthetically pleasing, but good for the environment and good for the soul.

  1. No private vehicles are involved in my jewellery whilst my pieces are in my possesion. I walk/public transport to my suppliers. I walk to Australia Post to have the items posted across the world. No Cars, trucks or private jets!
  2. I recycle where possible. Packaging, display materials, tools, icecream containers... etc.
  3. No Child Labour, or Sweat Shop Labour went into any of my pendants. They are 100% made by a thirty year old woman who still lives at home.
  4. They are really shiny
  5. They are my own designs. Not that I'm going to claim that NO ONE ON EARTH EVER could have come up with a similar thing. But I didn't copy them from anyone. I allow room for the 'great minds think alike factor'.
  6. They're mini-sculptures. Sort of like if Henry Moore wanted to get into wearable art, and went small scale with silver.

But when all is said and done, mostly I just want a rational excuse to keep making things from materials that are costed per gram. If people buy my work, then that's a pretty good reason to keep going with this expensive passion of mine. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

2 comments:

Adriaan said...

Hey Jem!

Welcome to the blogosphere. Again.

(I know you've done other sorts of blogs before.)

Nice to have you kicking around like this. Look forward to some cool output.

Cheers.

Jemimah said...

For some reason, I was unaware of this comment - I'm still adjusting to Blogger.... I'm so used to Livejournal (which is turning into a joke of annoying advertising and so forth).

But thanks for the welcome. :)